Athens – Europe’s Oldest City – History & Beauty Combined
Athens, the capital of Greece is a city with the most glorious history in the world, a city worshipped by gods and people, a magical city.
It is rated as the sixth most beautiful city in the world and it’s easy to see why.
It’s modern and bustling with museums and monuments, full of ancient history and culture, there are lively markets, cool cafes, restaurants and bars, and the friendly people make the city the legend that it is.
The perfect Mediterranean climate, the unique combination of glorious history with modern, urban innovation, the vibrant rhythm of life, the wide choice of opportunities for shopping, dining and night life and the warmth of the Athenian people, all make Athens the ideal year round destination.
Athens is a city of different aspects. A walk around the famous historic triangle reveals the coexistence of different eras. Old mansions, well preserved ones and others worn down by time. Luxurious department stores and small intimate shops, fancy restaurants and traditional taverns. All have their place in this wonderful city.
If you are looking for some rest and relaxation, within 30 minutes you can be on one of the beautiful beaches of the Athens Riviera.
Interesting Athens Facts
1. It’s Europe’s oldest capital city dating back to 3,000 B.C
2. The ancient Olympic games were never actually held there
3. It was the birthplace of democracy
4. The marathon was named after a long run to Athens
5. It was the first European Capital of Culture
6. It’s home to one of Greece’s 18 UNESCO World Heritage Sites
7. The first ever plays were performed in Athens
8. It’s one of the only cities to have experienced all types of government
9. The highest temperature ever recorded in Europe was recorded in Athens
10. About 18 million tourists visit Athens each year
Places to Visit
• Acropolis Museum
• National Archaeological Museum
• Panthenaic Stadium
• Piraeus Port
• Syntagma Square
• Athens Olympic Museum
• Monastiraki District
• Museum of the Ancient Agora
• Parliament Building
One of the best private hospitals in Greece for orthopaedic surgery, general surgery, ophthalmology and cardiology. No waiting lists. Superb surgeons who have trained and worked in the UK and USA. Robotic Knee Replacement Surgery specialists in Greece.